Black History Month: “Being Black Abroad” Panel

Rosa at Seisen University in Tokyo (Summer 2023)

As part of Black History Month and to amplify Black student voices, CIS Abroad will be holding a “Being Black Abroad” Panel, where both Black program alumni and staff will share their experiences abroad in a Q&A-style panel. CIS Abroad was my affiliate provider on my study abroad journey to Japan in Summer 2023, and they’ve taken great care of me before, during, and after my time in Japan. Something that worried me greatly when I was preparing for my trip was how I’d be perceived and if my features were too different, or if my background was too confusing to explain to the potential new people I’d be meeting. I think if I had seen that a panel like this existed before take-off, I’d feel much more secure and comfortable in my identity and my body in such a new place, no matter where that place was. I think it would’ve been especially comforting to see an Afro-Latino student on a panel like this, so I’m very happy to be a panelist and I’m looking forward to sharing my experience and making people like me feel seen.

– “Rosa” Gladiz de la Rosa Ceballo, our spectacular Education Abroad intern and study abroad alumna

For any curious students who might want to hear from – or ask questions to – the “Being Black Abroad” panel, here is the webinar link. The panel will be held on Wednesday, February 21, from 12:00 p.m. – 1:00 p.m. EST. We hope you’ll be able to attend!